“It’s a bird! It’s a plane! No, wait… it’s a … cronut?”
If you haven’t heard about this crazy (and delicious) croissant-donut hybrid, it’s about time you did. In fact, there are a whole bunch of food mashups that are trending right now. Be careful, though — not just any food combination is good. To help guide you in this new delectable world of hybrid foods, here’s a list of some of the most popular ones out there now:
1. Of course, we have to start with the cronut. It’s thin, light, and flakey like a croissant, but also fried (and therefore heavenly and delicious) like a donut. Ever since its release by Dominique Ansel Bakery this past May, people have been going absolutely crazy for it! In fact, this is the only place you can get a cronut right now. To see what a problem this is, let’s do some math:
Hungry (and grumpy) New Yorkers + a limited supply of cronuts = MADNESS!
2. Next up we have some other donut hybrids, such as Dunkin’ Donuts’ new Donut Breakfast Sandwich, which was just released this past June. Donut burgers, too, seem to be taking the world by storm! Still can’t decide if these sound like the best or the worst things ever, but either way their inventors should be given some props for creativity.
3. Staying on the topic of burgers, our next trending hybrid is Pizza Hut’s Cheeseburger Crown Crust Pizza. Sadly, right now you can only get this treasure in the Middle East. So… whatever should you do?! I think it’s a no brainer, but just to be clear let’s use our addition skills again:
Cheeseburger crust + pizza + Middle East = you + plane + now
4. “Hey bro, I’m really craving both tacos and Doritos right now, but I don’t know which to eat first!”
If this sounds like something you say often (and don’t lie; I know we all feel this way most of the time), this next one is going to knock your socks off. Taco Bell launched their Doritos Locos Tacos just over a year ago, creating the first taco with a Doritos shell. As of just a few months ago, they even do it with a Cool Ranch shell!
5. Pizzacones are another new way to do the seemingly impossible: make pizza more fun. If you’re not a pizzacone maven, it’s essentially a pizza-ice cream cone hybrid. While unfortunately many of the places in New York City that sold pizzacones have closed (RIP K! Pizzacone), I, for one, am hoping for a comeback.
6. Dessert sushi is up next, but don’t worry — I’m not taking about any sort of weird cupcake-raw fish hybrid. This popular trend merely consists of different desserts shaped like sushi. There are a plethora of types out there now – candy sushi, cupcake sushi, fruity sushi, chocolate sushi… you name it!
7. This last one will be a favorite for most. Unarguably, two of the best things in the world are candy and alcohol. I don’t know about you, but I think chocolate is the queen bee of the candy world, and wine is also pretty high up there on my list of alcoholic favorites. In a moment of pure genius, chocolate-flavored wine was born! I don’t know what we as a human race did to deserve this, but I think it’s safe to say we did something right.
If none of these are your style, though, you could always try cooking something new on your own!