Draped across geological fault lines and perched along the foggy coastline, San Francisco has been undeniably influenced by its natural history and breathtaking environments. Explore the Bay Area's best beaches, forests, and trails through the eyes of a naturalist on this guided excursion.
Start your day by crossing the iconic Golden Gate Bridge to reach the Marin Headlands. Walk with your naturalist guide along the dramatic seaside cliffs of the coastal trail and Hawk Hill, and watch for birds of prey soaring over the water or sea lions congregating along the coast. Your next stop is Muir Woods, a grove of towering redwoods where gentle trails are lined by emerald ferns and banana slugs amble along the path. After exploring the forest, head down to Muir Beach to enjoy a local picnic lunch overlooking the blue waters of the Gulf of Farallones, before heading back into the city.
Spend your afternoon experiencing San Francisco's amazing parks. Depending on the conditions of the day, you may stroll through the herbal-scented eucalyptus forests of the Lands End Sutro District or among the flutter of birds and butterflies in the serpentine grasslands of the Presidio.
Note: Must be at least 10 years of age to experience this tour.
What to expect
- Feel the cool bay breeze as you marvel at the Golden Gate Bridge and hear stories of its creation
- Embark on interpretative nature walks among the rolling coastal hills, teeming birdlife, and military history of the Marin Headlands
- Stroll in the grandeur of mammoth redwood trees in Muir Woods
- Experience how natural forces have shaped urban ecosystems and development in the Bay Area
- Learn about the San Andreas fault system which generates the city's notorious earthquakes
- Wander the ruins of the once-grandiose Sutro Baths at Lands End or traverse the diverse habitats of the aptly-named Ecology Trail in the Presidio
- Savor a fresh, family-style lunch along the secluded shores of Muir Beach (included in the price)
About this Activity
|Price||$169.00 per guest|
|Duration / Session||8 hours|
7 days or more prior to the tour: Any change or cancellation, including a rescheduling of the tour date, will incur a fee of $50/tour. Within 6 days of the tour: Any change, including a rescheduling requests, will incur a fee of $50/tour. There are no refunds for cancellation.